Friday 4 May 2012

Ep 3: I'm afraid its not good news

Tuesday 24th April 2012 (cont....)

So there we sit, waiting, I'm called in to speak with the Head Radiologist, Dr XYZ, "I have reviewed the CT scan and there is a large number of lumps in your neck and chest.  The largest cluster are along your sternum predominantly on your right side.  I have spoken with your GP, he would like to see you immediately, I will complete my review and you can take the report and films with you, your GP will discuss your care plan with you"

All the staff at the radiology clinic and I mean ALL of them are being extremely helpful, I'm the only person there with a cup of coffee made for me, nothing is too much and the speed at which I had the results and the review would make some folk uncomfortable, why else other than having a real issue are these lovely people being so extra lovely just to me?

Its roughly Midday, I'm strangely feeling calm and in control, Jacqui is beside me holding my hand, we go to our cars and head off to Byford to see my GP.

Jaqui and I arrive at the Byford Medical Center, present at the reception and within a few minutes are sitting down with my GP.  "Thanks for coming back, I've received your CT scan from the radiologist and I'm afraid its not good news."  In a nutshell he begins to describe the issues as presented, I have a large number of lumps present in my neck and chest, the largest is 55mm x 65mm, my lungs are however clear which is a good sign. Im shown the CT scan where you can clearly see the lumps and man there is a shit load of them.

What now doc?

"OK we will need to do a biopsy, its called a FNA and is done by gathering cells from your Lymph Node with a needle which is guided by an ultrasound to ensure we don't rupture any of the main blood vessels that surround the area."

"The biopsy is required to ascertain what type of cancer you have, my best guess is it will be Lymphoma however although your lungs are clear you may also have Lung Cancer"

"Lets hope its Lymphoma"

"You also will need a Abdominal CT Scan to see if your lumps are also below the diaphragm.  Once we have the results back we will discuss any possible treatment plans."

I ask some questions, what will happen next? what is the procedure? is there a cure? will I die?  The answers consisted of "we will know more when we have the results back".

Tomorrow is ANZAC Day so we arrange the Biopsy for Thursday and the Abdominal CT Scan for Friday, I loose my control a little, I hug Jacqui and head off to the office to confront the rest of the day and to arrange for some time off.

Time to start telling people who need to know what I now know, there's a significant mass of lumps in my neck and chest!


No comments:

Post a Comment