Sunday 20 January 2013

@52Blogs - Week 3 - Rescue

Have you met Steve?

In thinking about this weeks topic I had many options.

I could talk about my last year and my battle with cancer, certainly without the help of the wonderful people at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Haematology, I wouldn't be around so clearly they rescued me.

I could talk about my GP who whilst giving me a medical, for insurance purposes, explained how it wasn't ok for me to weigh 148 kg or to have an at rest Blood Pressure of 190/140 or a calculated cholesterol of 13.6.  I know your probably thinking, that's just him doing his job, where's the rescue moment? Well it was the part where he said "John, fix this or don't come back to see me because I don't want to sign your death certificate."

I could talk about my adoption, yes that's right I'm an adoptee, Ill talk about that another day I guess.

No, today we are going to talk about Steve, so as I asked before, have you met Steve?



Steve is a 9 year old Australian Cattle Dog, he is and I say this with much pride, the worst example of a Blue Heeler you will ever meet.  

In November 2011, our neighbourhood had had several "incidents", I finally had a really really good excuse to get a dog, our house "needed" some canine protection.  I guess some back story would be helpful, you see Jacqui is not a "dog person" where as I am a "dog person", I have lived my entire life with a dog and Jacqui has never lived with a dog.  I had been working on Jacqui for a long time to get her to agree to us having a dog, finally I had found a arguable excuse.  Now some further helpful information is Jacqui is a loving caring person who is someone who will give up what she likes or wants for the better of others.  Johns thought, RSPCA, rescue dog!!!!

That's right, I finally got to the point, Steve in all his glory is a rescue dog from the RSPCA.  

His back story is quite sad, he was handed about from his original owner, a young man, then to his old parents who all did their very best to ruin Steve.  The young man didn't pay Steve enough attention and didn't put in the vital training time and ended up with an unmanageable Blue Heeler.  Bluey's are an awesome dog who are amazing IF you invest in them early, if you don't they become complicated.  When the young man gave up on him he left Steve with his parents, these folk had no idea that this type of dog requires a strong firm owner so they went about spoiling him rotten.  Steve quickly ruled that roost and seemed to have dominated the old folk to the point where they couldn't cope with him any more.  After realising he was to difficult to handle they gave gave him to the RSPCA.

By the time I met Steve he had been at the RSPCA for more than 3 months and was being offered at a discounted price.  I had had 2 Bluey's in the past and LOVE Bluey's, best dog in the world EVER #justsaying.  I wanted this doggie bad, he was an outstanding looking dog, a sensational example of what a  Australian Cattle Dog should look like.  He had a beautiful nature appeared to be reasonably well behaved and I figured he would be an excellent choice for Jacqui's first dog.  How foolish I was.

So I came home, gave the appropriate back story hit all the key emotional elements which led to Jacqui and the kids all going with me to the RSPCA the following day, we met him fell in love with him and took him home.

So what are the key behaviour elements of a Blue Healer

                      Bluey Trait                                          Steve's Adherence to Trait
  • Deeply faithful one man dog                                          No
  • Very energetic always active                                         Sleeps all day
  • Mad Ball/Stick/Anything chaser                                    No, could not care less
  • Fierce Guard Dog                                                        Nope, welcomes everyone
  • Quiet don't bark much                                                  No, barks a LOT
  • (insert all other Bluey Traits)                                         No, No, No and no
Steve came home and promptly proceeded to spend the next 2 weeks escaping, he had a sever case of separation anxiety so as soon as we all went to work or school he made his way out of the block.  I applied every effort known to man to keep him in the yard, Steve applied all of his ample brain to successfully escape.  After many costly retrievals of our new dog from the pound we were forced to invest $600 for a dog barrier that would give him a shock any time he gets within half a meter of the fence.  Steve suddenly chose to stay home, go figure?

Steve has many many many OCD issues, he is an incessant licker, scratcher and barker. In fact he barked so much that our terrific neighbours, who are lovely people, came to us and said we love Steve but he is driving us mad.  As soon as you leave he Barks and Barks and Barks and Barks and Barks.  So back to the dog control people for a bark collar, every time he barks he now gets a zap too.  Steve suddenly chose to stop barking.

Now all we had to deal with was the licking and the slinking under chairs, beds furniture any time voices were raised, we have multiple teenagers, there's never a time when voices are not raised.  So I boarded up under beds blocked off ways to get in under or behind furniture, its been over 2 years since we brought him home and he is slowly getting better.

There are a million Steve stories, he is a complicated ball of wax but to his core he is a beautiful sole.  He is messed up due to his former multiple owners but his core self which was buried under all the "stuff" would shine from time to time.  The core Steve is much more prevalent these days, he is more relaxed more at ease and seems to be getting slowly better however we have a way to go.  I know he loves his life with us and he is content and will live his remaining years in happiness.  

His happiness is my happiness. Thats a worthwhile example of rescue I think

Cue Aretha Franklin 

That is all

No comments:

Post a Comment