Tuesday 12 February 2013

@52Blogs - Week 6 - Books

“books”

This week we are asked

What do books mean to you? Do you have a particular relationship with books? A warm one? An antagonistic one? Are books merely printed words on a piece of paper? Or a screen? What is Steve McGarrett really on about when he says: “Book ‘em, Danno!”

Reading has been a foundation in my life, as a young boy I took to reading as fervently as a teenage boy leaps to a nipple.  I always hold precious the memory of sitting on my Dads lap reading to him the adventures of Dick and Dora and their little friends Nip and Fluff.  I remember devouring books and often reading books my sister was reading who was 2 years older than me.

I was introduced to Science Fiction when I discovering Isaac Asimov's Robot series which I loved and then followed up with the foundation series.   I enjoyed the "possibility" of Sci-Fi, how things could be and I have had a life long love for the genre which can be evidenced by my unhealthy obsession with Star Trek and Star Wars.  My Brother in law introduced me to Fantasy, the first book in this genre I read was the Magician, a book I have recommended to many folk since.  It is a terrific example of all that is good in Fantasy and if you liked the Magician you would love the rest.

I love epic series of books best, they are a significant investment in time and emotion and also allow you to immerse yourself into the world the author is creating.  Some of my most loved series are by the truly awesome, greats such as JRR Tolkien, Izaac Azimov, Raymond E Feist, George RR Martin, Philip K Dick, Frank Herbert David Eddings, Robin Hobb and Stephen Donaldson just to name a few.  If you haven't read their books stop what your doing and immediately begin to read them.

Books, they can be escapism, they can be educational, they can be provoking, they can be the basis of religious practice or the chronicale of our time.  But mostly they are simply important.



That's all I have to say about that

1 comment: